Sunnybrae cottage is one of a small number of surviving buildings in the Birregurra district that were constructed by John 'Bricky' Pell. The bricks are from the local Price's kiln. They are laid in Flemish Bond with a bi-chromatic effect whereby the end on bricks are a darker colour.
The four roomed cottage was built in 1868, on 28 acres owned by John and Mary Bicket. John was a shoemaker from The Waterslap, Fenwick, Ayrshire, Scotland. He had a bookmaker's shop in Birregurra.
The interior of Sunnybrae was decorated with false marble effects and folk art stencil work.
John died in 1878 and Mary in 1902. She had lived at Sunnybrae as a widow for 24 years. They are both buried at the Warncoort Cemetery off the Princes Hwy. [The cemetery adjoining Sunnybrae is the Whoorel Cemetery.]
We have been living here together since 1981. A full history of the Bickets will be available on the website.
If perchance you have seen any old material related to Sunnybrae please let us know. Prior to Mary's death it was supposed to have been 'the showpiece garden of the district'. We would love to see an old photo of the garden as the only remains are the old Robinia trees at the corner .